We are Cambridge University Press & Assessment, a world-leading academic publisher and assessment organisation, and a proud part of the University of Cambridge.
Our mission is to contribute to society through the pursuit of education, learning, and research at the highest international levels of excellence. Which is why every year, we give vital support to millions of people in more than 170 countries around the world. From teachers and learners to researchers and academics, we help to build confidence, unlock potential, and enable success. We give people the opportunity to show what they’ve learnt, we spread knowledge, spark enquiry, and aid understanding.
We achieve this by embracing change, and continuously focusing on our customers’ needs. And by collaborating, and carefully listening to our customers and to each other, we keep moving forward, keep innovating, and keep finding newer and better ways of doing things.
The Online Customer Experience team is looking for a User Interface Designer to support the creation of the Academic Design System that will be applied to our ecosystem, a suite of orchestrated platforms and services that work well together to serve customer needs.
They will be passionate about human-centred design and driven by optimising discoverability, usability, accessibility, credibility, and desirability.
- Support the creation and development of innovative Academic Publishing platforms and services by designing user interfaces and interactions, optimising the experience of researchers, lecturers, students, librarians, publishing partners and funders in line with the wider Academic strategy.
- Create designs that work for our end-users and look great, optimising discoverability, usability, accessibility, credibility and desirability.
- Work with the UX team to cultivate a deep understanding of user needs, behaviours, attitudes and emotions.
- Support the creation of the Academic Design System that will be applied to our ecosystem, a suite of orchestrated platforms and services that work well together to serve customer needs.
- Support the Product Owner teams by joining scrum ceremonies and collaborating with the development teams as they implement designs.
- Collaborate with external design agencies and contractors when working on big or complex projects.
- Use compelling storytelling and presentation skills to increase user empathy when presenting designs to product teams.
- Keep abreast of trends and new techniques within UX and apply innovative methodology in your work.
- To set a gold-standard in customer research practices and ways of working. Running research experiments and managing relationships with customers.
The new UI Designer will put the user at the heart of what they do and empathise with researchers, lecturers, students, librarians and publishing partners to understand the best way to deliver delightful and intuitive experiences, in line with our Customer Experience strategy & the underlying technology opportunities.
The role holder will contribute to design workshops, sketch, wireframe and prototype user interfaces and work closely with the Online Customer Experience team members to balance business requirements and user needs across all Academic Publishing digital platforms.
You will understand that good interaction design enables users to communicate with our systems, however great user interfaces are the mechanisms that facilitate that communication, reducing the distance between our users and the content they are looking for.
The User Interface Designer will demonstrate through a portfolio or selection of case studies, expertise in conducting the appropriate UX process to deliver low or high-fidelity UI designs and interaction designs. They will optimise end-users’ experience and support the delivery of innovative interfaces.
The key to our work is our colleagues, whose shared commitment enables us to have an ever-greater impact. We are a united, vibrant, and respectful global community of people, and we ensure that every individual is recognised, listened to, and cared for. And because our impact is amplified when our people are empowered, we give everyone the opportunity to develop in their own way. Whether you want a career that’s linear, or want to follow your own path, we’ll support you, and help give you the resources and training you’ll need to be bold and take ownership of what you do.
The closing date for application is 7th of June.
Cambridge University Press & Assessment is committed to being a place where anyone can enjoy a successful career, where it’s safe to speak up, and where we learn continuously to improve together. We welcome applications from all candidates, regardless of demographic characteristics (age, disability, educational attainment, ethnicity, gender, marital status, neurodiversity, religion, sex, and sexual identity), cultural, or social class/background.
We believe that diversity of thought, background, and approach create better outcomes. More importantly, fostering an inclusive culture is the right thing to do, and it’s part of how we achieve our purpose: to contribute to society through the pursuit of education, learning and research at the highest international levels of excellence. Ensuring that anyone, no matter who they are, feels they belong here is an essential part of who we are and the contribution we make to society, and to our planet.
To enable an environment which our people can thrive in, our customers benefit from, and where work complements life, we empower everyone to manage their time and capacity, and to prioritise their wellbeing. That’s why from day one everyone at Cambridge University Press & Assessment can discuss flexible working options to find the best solution for them and their role.