All international students interested in pursuing a PhD at the Utrecht University are cordially invited to apply.
Students with knowledge of or expertise with large-scale (hydrological) datasets should take advantage of this scholarship opportunity. Students must be cooperative and have a master’s degree in environmental science, civil engineering, hydrology, or a related discipline.
About the University
Utrecht University, ranked first in the Netherlands and 52nd in the world as of 2020, is a public research university. Utrecht is one of Europe’s leading research universities, with a reputation for high-quality, innovative research and teaching.
Utrecht University works tirelessly to improve the world by researching complex issues across disciplines and bringing thinkers and doers together to apply new insights. Students at Utrecht University are also privileged to study at one of the world’s best universities and receive the best education.
Students can apply for a PhD program at the Faculty of Geosciences of Utrecht University
To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following/given criteria:
- affinity with numerical modeling.
- Prior knowledge/experience in handling large-scale (hydrological) datasets.
- The ability to work in a team.
- You have an interest in global water and sustainability challenges and are enthusiastic about working with global datasets and models. You are a team player and will be part of a multidisciplinary team with the larger SOS-WATER project and supported locally by scientific and technical support staff. Together with the team, you will work on making large-scale hydrological models available at fine resolutions to be implemented in local assessments while still benefiting from the global applicability. Your focus will be on improving the existing PCR-GLOBWB model that is developed in Utrecht and together with our partners in Europe provide high-resolution water simulations that include dynamic human water interactions (e.g., abstraction for irrigation, industry, households).
The Utrecht University will provide the selected candidates a monthly gross salary for four years, starting at €2,443 in the first year and €3,122 in the fourth year of employment. In addition, the students will also be awarded an 8% holiday bonus, an 8.3% end-of-year bonus, and a pension scheme partially paid parental leave.
- Students must complete and submit the Utrecht University Application Form. All eligible applicants will be considered automatically.
- The students are required to present the following documents to the university:
- Letter of motivation
- Contact details of two referees
- Copy of Master’s diploma
- The applicants must have an MSc in Earth Sciences, Hydrology, Civil Engineering, Environmental Science, or a related field.
- The students must have demonstrable English language proficiency, both oral and writing.
Closing June 30
- 2022 Utrecht University Doctoral Scholarship Grant in the Netherlands
- Scholarship Grants for East Asian Students in Ireland (2022)
- Educational Award in Belgium for International Students at Vrije Universiteit Brussel 2022
- Best Universities in Canada for International Students
- Grants for International Students at Saginaw Valley State University in the USA (2022)